Look no further than the discussion boards:
Have you ever gotten a roach or any other type of bug inside the workings of your microwave and didn’t know what to do?
Ok. I see where this is going. The following is not a good idea for a variety of reasons:
I came up with something …First I unplugged (my microwave)…then I took a bug bomb and set it inside. ….I took a good sturdy trash bag (the big black kind) and put the microwave inside it ….Then I put all that inside another big black bag…Then I reached in and quickly turned the bug bomb on and closed the microwave door, then quickly tied each bag up good. I let this sit for 24 hours before opening the bag.
Unfortunately, the paper by Thambiraj and colleagues did not provide the details of the bug bomb- microwave injury. We are left to guess. For a better solution, I would recommend putting the microwave in a chest freezer for 24 hours; less toxic residues.
*Dana F. Thambiraj, Thiphalak Chounthirath, Gary A. Smith. Microwave oven-related injuries treated in hospital EDs in the United States, 1990 to 2010, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 31, Issue 6, June 2013, Pages 958-963.