Living With Restricted Use Pesticides

dangerThe Amarillo Globe News has reported tragic deaths of 4 children after exposure to phosphine gas. Phosphine is a toxic gas that inhibits cellular respiration; it acts at the same enzyme target site as cyanide.  Pesticide formulations for phosphine release typically are pellets or tablets of aluminum phosphide called “phostoxin”.  Phostoxin is a restricted use pesticide, available only to trained licensed pesticide applicators. It is considered a too dangerous for the general public to handle.  The pellets must be kept dry until ready for use and personal protective equipment is required for safe handling. Phostoxin pellets release toxic phosphine gas when placed in water. For example, fumigation of a grain bin could be accomplished by a pesticide applicator wearing a respirator and hazmat suit. The tablets would be placed in a large container of water and the applicator would immediately leave,  sealing the door as the phosphine gas is released and permeates the structure. The structure must be properly ventalated after fumigation is complete before it is safe to reenter.

In this incident the phostoxin pellets were underneath a trailer. It is unclear whether they were placed in burrows under the trailer or stored inappropriately.  An occupant of the trailer sprayed the pellets with water to wash away the pesticide. However this action released poison phosphine gas that entered the trailer and poisoned the occupants. The occupants became ill and lethargic. They were later discovered by a friend and removed from the trailer. Some occupants recovered but four children died from their exposure

Phostoxin pellets have been implicated in other deaths including incidents in 2011 and 2008.  In these cases, the pellets were used to kill rodents and applied too near to a house. Phostoxin pellets are not a particularly effective means of controlling rodents and certainly the pellets should not be used near a residence or where people could come in contact with the phosphine gas.

Pesticides can be hazardous if not used according to directions. In this incident, the pellets were applied or stored inappropriately underneath the trailer resulting in tragic consequences. Remember, when using pesticides always follow directions.

About jjneal

Jonathan Neal is an Associate Professor of Entomology at Purdue University and author of the textbook, Living With Insects (2010). This blog is a forum to communicate about the intersection of insects with people and policy. This is a personal blog. The opinions and materials posted here are those of the author and are in no way connected with those of my employer.
This entry was posted in by jjneal, Health, News, Pest Management. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Living With Restricted Use Pesticides

  1. Pingback: Living With Restricted Use Pesticides – Entomo Planet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s